You may be hearing a lot about virtualization in the IT world lately. But if you're a small business owner, you may not be clear on exactly what virtualization is -- or how it can save your business money. Worse, you may not even know what questions to ask (or who to ask) to get the right answers.
Let's explore the basic question first: Exactly what is virtualization?
Virtualization is the creation of a virtual (rather than real) piece of hardware, an operating system or a storage device. One simple example would be Mac computers that run a Windows 7 skin. When you're using a Windows interface on a Mac, the Windows OS is the “virtual” environment.
But you can use virtualization for much more. Today's virtualization systems let you run multiple OS at multiple desktop units from one main server. This helps:
- increase storage capacity
- conserve IT resources and help your system run faster
- create a more secure environment to store your data
Virtualization saves money by:
- Reducing operating costs by reducing the amount of IT equipment and maintenance required
- Increasing energy efficiency, lowering utility costs
- Increasing productivity by increasing operating speeds in some situations
However, if something should happen to your virtual server, you need experts in virtualization to recover your data. VMWare data recovery and recovery of other virtual systems is a complex process requiring advanced data recovery techniques and tools.
You can trust 24 Hour Data and our trained, certified data recovery specialists to recover your VMware system or other virtual server. Don't hesitate to make the switch to a virtual environment, but keep our number handy in case you need us.